In language teaching theory, a distinction is often made between teaching approaches and teaching methodologies. For ease of understanding, I will refer to all the following as methods. I have described the methods in chronological order, starting with traditional methods and moving towards more contemporary methods. Please don’t assume that the first ones I describe are the most prominent or ones I recommend. Grammar translation method This method was prevalent in schools throughout the beginning of the 20th century; its use continued long afterwards and many cultures still expect language to be taught using this method. The method consists of studying written texts, translating them into the students’ own language and carrying out a study of grammar. There is little attention given to the use of the spoken language. I learnt French through this method and whilst I was able to read and translate complicated texts, I was unable to buy a loaf of bread when I went on holiday to France. I...
students need to learn various aspects of language: grammar,vocabulary, pronunciation and functions. In order to learn this language, teachers need to present the new language to students and create situations where the language can be practised. Revision and further practice are also essential in subsequent lessons. The amount of revision carried out in later lessons will depend on the students’ leveland on their mastery of the language point. Here we will look at how to present grammar, vocabulary and functions, how to revise language and how to create situations to practise both new and known language. Pronunciation will be the topic of a separate chapter. From a language learner’s point of view, presentation of language is probably the most important aspect of studying English. Students expect lessons to contain some degree of language study, either long and intensive or short and sharp, depending on whichever is appropriate – it’s most often what they note in their books and take ...
Comments
Post a Comment